Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wisdom From the Word Wednesday

Light...1 John 1:5-10

The Message—
God is Light---in Him is NO darkness at ALL
“This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.”-1 John 1:5

James 1:17 calls Him the Father of lights—in Him is NO variation or shifting shadows. Can we even begin to imagine how “BRIGHT” God is, if there is NO darkness at all around HIM? He is so bright that he totally dispels ALL darkness. Of course, His light is more than just light for the eyes. It is light for the soul, as well. His light illuminates our hearts and shows us where sin is hiding. Since God is light, we would expect Jesus also to be light, as He and the Father are one.

Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."
-John 8:12

And to take it a step further, since Jesus is light, when we are joined with Him we become the light of the world, we also become children of light.

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lamp stand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”-Matthew 5:14-16.

“...but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light.”-Ephesians 5:8b-13

Read the rest of the verses in this chapter (1 John 1:6-10). Each of these verses begins with “if”. If we are living...

In the Light...
-then we are walking in the light (“Come, house of Jacob, and let us walk in the light of the LORD.” Isaiah 2:5)
-then we have fellowship with one another
-then Jesus’ blood cleanses us from all sin (“who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds” Titus 2:14)
-we are confessing our sins (“I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"; and You forgave the guilt of my sin.” Psalm 32:5)
-our sins are forgiven
-we are cleansed from all unrighteousness (“who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds” Titus 2:14)

In the Darkness...
-we are walking in darkness (“Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."John 8:12)
-we are lying and not practicing the truth (“and you have not come to know Him, but I know Him; and if I say that I do not know Him, I will be a liar like you, but I do know Him and keep His word.” John 8:55)
-we are saying we have no sin
- we are deceiving ourselves
- we are without the truth (“You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.” John 8:44)
-we are saying we have not sinned ("What is man, that he should be pure, or he who is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?” Job 15:14)
-then God’s Word in not in us

Are you walking in the Light or the darkness?


2 comments:

Lorentzen Family said...

I love this post Lanita, and look forward to many more Word Wednesdays!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I am glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoyed putting it together. I am trying to decide already what next weeks will be. It is challenging, but something I really enjoy doing. It is not a chore, but a joy for me, to read, chew on and study God's Word. I look forward to many more Wednesdays!