Monday, August 3, 2009

Homemade Bread

I have been searching for years for the "perfect" recipe for whole wheat bread. I have tried and tried and tried MANY different recipes and used my poor family as guinea pigs. My husband likes a nice light bread for his sandwich, not the dense, heavy stuff that I kept putting out. Well, last May I held a home school Mom's retreat and a lady was invited by one of our local home school Mom's. This lady, Trisha, knows how to make GREAT homemade whole wheat bread. I begged for the recipe and she was gracious enough to share it with me. I was so hesitant when I made it for the first time. I had had so many promises from other women and their recipes, and they had all been failures for me. So when I made Trisha's bread the first time and the dough raised double in less than 20 minutes, I was floored (most of the time it takes a minimum of 60-120 minutes for it to raise the first time). I then shaped them into loaves and let them raise the second time, this time it only took 8 minutes (again, it usually takes at least 30-60 minutes the second time around). I then put them in the oven and they continued raising a little more. When it was finished baking I had two beautiful loaves of bread. But I was still skeptical; until my husband tasted it and approved, I would not be satisfied. So I gave him some that evening and he REALLY liked it. I was ecstatic. I have since made it into hamburger buns and adapted my pizza dough recipe also. Thank you, Trisha, you have saved me from a life long failure of making bread. We now really enjoy our bread, buns and pizza crust.


5 comments:

Becki said...

So....can you share Trisha's recipe? Pretty please? :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, I will email it to you.

Miss Serenity said...

Wait. What about me??? I need it too!

Jennifer (not Serentiy, although I'm sure she'll love it too!)

Anonymous said...

Well, of course, I will send it to you too, Jennifer (not Serenity). Just make sure you share the recipe with her. My girls copied the recipe and put it in their hope chests (read, cardboard boxes covered in wedding wrapping paper:)

Anonymous said...

Lanita, would you please email me your new bread recipe? I would love to try it out!

Thank you. How are you and your family doing?