From Bulk Herb Newsletter #4 (August 2009)
Are you tired of spending lots of money on vitamins that don’t seem to make a difference? We know how you feel! Most vitamins are very hard for your body to process. In fact, it is so common for vitamins to not break down, some doctors are saying, “You are just producing really expensive pee.” Yellow, yellow, smelly vitamins down the drain, instead of doing their work in your body. That means your body is not assimilating them, and they are going right through you.
Have you ever thought about mixing your own vitamins? It is not as difficult as you might think. If your body can digest food, it can also digest and assimilate herbs. Unlike many vitamins, herbs act as a food to your body and are easily digestible. You can choose the herbs according to your needs and make your daily vitamins easily and quickly, at a fraction of the cost of a bottle of multi-vitamins.
Our favorite herbal "daily vitamins" can be made into a delicious smoothie. This mix will make enough to last 2-4 months. Use 1/2 pound each of these all-powder herbs:
• Ginkgo (Biloba): Brain food, better concentration and improves memory
• Siberian ginseng root (Eleutherococcus senticosus): Energy booster and stress reliever
• Oat straw: Excellent source of the major minerals
• Bilberry fruit: Anti-aging properties, strengthens the eyes and veins
• Hawthorn: Best herb for strengthening the heart
• Burdock root: Blood purifier, helps with varicose veins, detoxing, and more
• Horsetail/Shavegrass: High in silicon, great for skin, hair, bones, and nails
Mix all the herbs together by putting them in a 1½ gallon ziplock bag. Seal the top of the bag and shake. Let sit for 10 minutes, then pour into a clean glass jar and close with a lid. Keep in the cabinet away from sun, moisture or heat. Makes 3 pounds of Herba-Smoothie-Mix. Any time you want a refreshing smoothie that provides vitamin-packed, tasty goodness, combine the following in your blender:
• 1 rounded teaspoon of Herba-Smoothie-Mix
• 1 c. frozen fruit (such as mixed berries)
• 1/2 c. yogurt (any brand will work, homemade is best)
• 3/4 c. juice (a favorite is orange or mango)
Add some honey if you like. YUMMMM, YUM!
You can either make your own or purchase it pre-made from Bulk Herb.