Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How Well Do You Know Your Bible?

I received a fabulous devotional today from Nancy Campbell. (If you don't subscribe to her devotionals I would encourage you to do so, they are always uplifting and insightful. I am always blessed by the way God uses her to minister to women.) I pray that you will be encouraged to pick up your Bible at least once a day and "Walk Through the Land".


Joshua 18:3, "How long are ye slack to go to possess the land, which the Lord God of your fathers hath given you?"

This was a new day for the Israelites. They had subdued the land. And now, because they were settled, they set up the tabernacle in Shiloh. Instead of carrying the tabernacle from place to place, they made it permanent. But, there were still seven tribes who had not received their inheritance.

Joshua therefore commanded them to choose three men from each of the seven tribes to "Go and walk through the land, and describe it." (v.8) These scouts had to survey the land and map the entire territory, listing the towns in each section. They had to bring back a thorough written report to Joshua who would cast sacred lots in the presence of the Lord to determine which tribe would have each section.

This reminds me of a land that we have waiting for us. It is a vast spiritual land that has already been given to us--God's precious Word, filled with promises and principles of God's plan for us and how to walk in victory--and all that has been given to us in Christ.

We can read about these riches in 2 Peter 1:3-4, "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." It is a land that "flows with milk and honey" but we have to go in and take it.

But how can we take it if we don't know what we have?

We have to walk through the land, survey it and find out what belongs to us. We must know what we have to possess before we can possess it! That's why it is important for us to take a walk through the Bible each day.

Psalm 48:12-13 says, "Walk about Zion, and go round about her: tell her towers thereof. Mark ye well her bulwarks, consider her palaces; that ye may tell it to the generation following."

We must know the land well, not only so we can walk in all that we have been given ourselves, but so we can tell it to our children.

We have a responsibility to inform our children. Joshua told the scouts to write down a description of the land as they walked through. That's why I like to write down the most significant Scripture that I read in the Word each day. This way, I don't forget it myself, but I also have it written in my book to be able to share with my family and with others.

As I walk through a new part of the land in my daily reading each day, I receive new revelation. As I receive new revelation I can walk in a little more of the riches I have been given in Christ. I can tell my children about it so they can walk in it too. We must scout the land to bring back news for our children. We can be excited to tell them what we have found and what is available for them.

Proverbs 4:18 says, "The path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day."


Our walk in Christ is a "more and more" walk. We have a vast land before us. We dare not sit down and think we have it all. We have hardly started. Our minds have not comprehended all that is available to us in Christ. We must search for new territory. Then of course, we must possess it. It's not enough to know, we must possess! I love to think that I can possess a little more every day.

Will you become an adventurer, exploring the land that has been given to you? Bring back the news to your family. "Children, this is what God has given to us. This is how we possess it. Come on. Let's go in and take it!"
"But to act, that each tomorrow
Find us farther than today."
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Love from
NANCY CAMPBELL

PRAYER: "Thank you, God, for the vast land of blessings that you have provided for me. Give me a vision to discover them for myself and my family and to possess all my possessions. Amen."

AFFIRMATION: I am setting out an adventure each day in the Word of God.

No comments: