Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Rainbow-A Reminder That God Keeps His Promises

by Dean Curtis News-Leader

A light rain splattered my windshield as I drove to work. As of that moment, the only good thing about the day was that it was Friday. Heavy gray clouds were rolling in from the west. Soon they would eclipse the lighter eastern sky. Yet, before they could, the sun sent one last beam through the clouds and painted a brush stroke of colors on the dreariness.

Luckily, I was downtown. Now what should I put in the photo with the rainbow? I didn't have much time.

Hammons Tower? Probably not.

The Heer's building? Certainly not.

The copper-clad steeple of St. Joseph Catholic Church came to mind. It was just a short distance away and I was fairly confident I could get a mostly unobstructed angle. It was fitting, too. Isn't a rainbow a sign of God's covenant with us that another great flood will not come?

I parked just east of the church and darted across Boonville Avenue to get just the right angle. I only shot for a minute or two before the clouds closed the window of light. The brief rainbow was gone.

I stood in the rain and realized it wasn't such a bad day after all.

No comments: